Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tool @ Frank Erwin Center, Austin (11.14.2007)

First show of this leg of the tour, last night in Austin:

01. Jambi
02. Stinkfist (extended)
03. Forty-Six & 2
04. Schism (extended)
05. Rosetta Stoned
06. Flood (synth intro + normal building intro)
07. Wings For Marie/10,000 Days
08. Lateralus (extended drums)

09. Vicarious

I'm normally a bit more verbose, but after the past couple weeks I'm a bit reviewed out. And while I agree they are amazingly performed, Tool shows don't really contain any surprises these days, so there's not a whole lot new to add that we don't already know. So I'll just add a few notes here:

=========================

- Might be the best sounding arena Tool show I've been to. Adam's guitar sounded incredible. Maynard's mic could have been turned up a bit.

- No appreciable difference in the visuals. Maybe some slightly different videos at some parts, but maybe not, I don't really remember. Same lasers, same backdrop, same three moving circular light assemblies.

- Maynard kinda killed the momentum of "Rosetta Stoned" at the beginning by flying through the machine-gun style vocals way too fast. He would get through each verse really quickly, and then have to just stand there while the music caught up. It made the beginning of that song really choppy. I don't remember this really being an issue the other couple times I've seen them play this song.

- Long synth stuff leading into the "Flood" intro was pretty damn cool. I had only heard "Flood" live once before (on the Lateralus tour), and on that one they just jumped directly into the meat of the song, no intro. It was great having the full song plus the synth intro stuff. That song really kicks ass live.

- I'd gladly trade the extended drum stuff during "Lateralus" for another full song. That being said, "Lateralus" is still quite possibly the best live song I've ever seen.

- It is absolutely true that watching a Tool show with someone seeing Tool for the first time really elevates the entire experience.

=========================

Enjoy the tour, guys....

0 comments: