Sunday, February 7, 2010

Worst. Jersey. Ever.

Last week I played in a hockey tournament here in Austin, and part of the registration fee covered jerseys for the team. I'm always down for a new jersey, especially when its supposed to look pretty cool, like this:


The week before the tournament, however, we got word that the lead time on the jerseys was several weeks, so we wouldn't be able to get the cool jerseys in time. Instead, the owner of the rink would have to improvise. I figured whatever, a jersey is a jersey.

Little did I know how horribly, horribly wrong things could go.

As a Red Wings fan, there is one team above all others that I absolutely detest: the Colorado Avalanche. The Wings/Avalanche rivalry was the best in all of pro sports for about a decade. Blood was shed, punches were thrown, feelings were hurt, etc. More often than not, the road to the Stanley Cup went through either Denver or Detroit. And through all this, there was one man, one gutless, turtling, sucker-punching, cheap-shot artist that was hated more than any other: Claude Lemieux, #22. To this day, I hate him more than any other professional athlete ever. If I heard he had been hit by a bus, I'd probably just say "Huh...how about that", and then casually change the channel and move on with my life.

So, imagine my extreme displeasure last Friday night when, minutes before our first tournament game, I was handed THIS:

(An Avalanche jersey??? Could this get any worse???)

(Yup, its worse.)

I typically prefer to keep explicit profanity out of my blog posts....but this is bullshit.

As it turned out, during that first game I was so distraught by what was on the front of my jersey that I failed to realize the full impact of what was on the back. It wasn't until that night, as I was drifting off to sleep, that the horrific realization that I was essentially wearing not just an Avalanche jersey, but a CLAUDE LEMIEUX JERSEY, tore through my mind like a wrecking ball of shame. All I could imagine was the look of disappointment in the faces of my friends and family back home when they learned of such treason. It wasn't exactly a great night of sleep.

Thankfully, the tournament is over now and I have no obligation to ever again let that atrocity of a game sweater see the light of day. But as long as that thing remains intact, I just feel dirty. Sara and I have occasionally talked about getting one of those fire-pit table things for our back deck. If we ever do, I'll be putting on my ol' Dino Ciccarelli sweater and having myself a jersey burning party.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll bring the Bacardi 151 to make sure it goes up in a pretty ball of flame seen at least three houses down. Least I could do ;-)

Tedo said...

Yeah, and we'll use the rest of the 151 to forget that this thing ever existed....

Adina said...

Eew. How many showers did you have to take just to feel clean afterward? That should be illegal.

Bobage said...

Here's to hoping my comments pleasantly surprise you...

As a diehard Avs fan, I must say that I can nevertheless respect your pain. First off, I'd rather be drug behind a canary colored Geo Prism by my pinky finger (honoring your inclination to keep it clean on your blog, you may insert alternate body part here) than ever don a Wings jersey. Should the south side of said jersey be thus festooned with a moniker resembling "McCarty", all the more humiliation should ensue. Thus, my ability to empathize with you here brother Tedo.

Secondly, despite my Denver affiliations, I can with clean conscience join you in the chiding of one scumbag goon named Lemieux. While the smearing of Draper was an activity I might have indulged myself the fantasy of now and again, to see it come to fruition in such barbaric fashion was far from enjoyable. I am a hockey fan before an Avs fan and that crap has no place in hockey.

Now on to the final portion wherein any surprise I may have thrown your way now gives way to what you've been expecting....BWAAHAHAAHA! I absolutely love the thought of you skating a whole game in an Avs jersey! Hopefully it helped you pick up your game with the speed and finesse the Avs are known for, helping to power your efforts. :)

Cathy said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I can not even begin to imagine how mad/distraught you must have been.

Tedo said...

OK, I'm going to ASSUME that my own sister is laughing at my flowin' prose, and not pain and suffering....

Cathy said...

I am laughing a little bit at your pain and suffering and mostly at the irony that you of all people had to wear a Lemieux jersey. I would be equally pissed if this happened to me.

joeyTWOwheels said...

Ha ha.